Let a firm with over 40 years of experience represent you.
By plane, boat, snow machine or dog sled, we come to you.
Read our frequently asked questions about wrongful death.
Find out if you have a case by filing out an evaluation form.
HomePersonal InjuryFAQAttorney ProfilesContact Us
Toll Free: 888.821.4978 | Local: 907.277.0161
Over 40 years of experience serving clients like you.

Alaska Unseaworthiness Claims

Owners of boats, ships, and other sea vessels are responsible for ensuring that the vessel is seaworthy and safe for crewmembers. If the owner fails to take the necessary steps to examine the vessel and prepare it for use, a serious maritime accident could occur that causes personal injury to the crewmembers, or even a fatal accident. Anyone who is injured because of an unseaworthy vessel can file a personal injury claim, a Jones Act claim, or both, in order to recover any and all damages.

Defining "Unseaworthy"

The law generally defines "unseaworthy" as a vessel – or any part or equipment of a vessel – that is not fit for its intended purpose. This does not mean that the ship and its components must be the newest, safest on the market; it simply means that the ship and its equipment must be fit for its intended purpose and for the voyage ahead. If an accident occurs on a vessel that is directly related to unseaworthiness, injury victims are eligible to file for compensation.

Unseaworthiness & Jones Act Claims

Anyone who is injured on board an unseaworthy vessel can file a personal injury claim. Victims may also be eligible to file a claim under the Jones Act, however, if they are a crewmember who was injured on the job as a result of unseaworthiness. Some crewmembers may even be able to file two claims - one for personal injury and the other under the Jones Act. Speak with an Alaska personal injury lawyer from Johnson Beard & Trueb, PC to learn more!

When you are injured, you want to do everything in your power to recover the compensation that you are owed. This means not settling for less than you should. An attorney can review your case to gain a better idea of how much compensation you deserve. This allows them to know what amount they should be seeking and to work diligently so that your settlement or verdict provides you with full damages. Compensation can be sought for the following and more:

  • Hospital bills
  • Medical devices
  • Physical therapy
  • Prescription medication
  • Lost income
  • Pain and suffering

Hire a Maritime Lawyer in Alaska

Our firm has 75 years of combined legal experience and can skillfully handle your claim. We prepare each case thoroughly by taking the time to get to know our clients, their accident, and the laws surrounding their case. We also go out of our way to travel and meet with you, no matter where you are in Alaska, rural or otherwise. Contact our firm as soon as possible to set up your free consultation and speak with an attorney who can maximize your compensation.

Johnson Beard & Trueb, PC - Anchorage Personal Injury Attorney
Located at 330 L. Street Anchorage, AK 99501 View Map
Phone: (888) 821-4978 | Local Phone: (907) 277-0161

© 2013 All Rights Reserved.
Toll Free: 888.821.4978 | Local: 907.277.0161